Bestselling author William Peter Blatty warms our hearts with a funny yet deeply moving nostalgic tale of memory, mystery . . . and miracles.
New York, 1941: Joey El Bueno is just a smart-aleck kid, confounding the nuns and bullies at St. Stephen’s school on East 28th Street when he first meets Jane Bent, a freckle-faced girl with red pigtails and yellow smiley-face barrettes who seems to know him better than he knows himself. A magical afternoon at the movies, watching Cary Grant in Gunga Din, is the beginning of a puzzling friendship that soon leaves Joey baffled and bewildered.
Jane is like nobody he has ever met. She comes and goes at will, nobody else seems to have heard of her, and is it true that she once levitated six feet off the ground at the refreshment counter of the old Superior movie house on Third Avenue? Joey, an avid reader of pulp magazines and comic books, is no stranger to amazing stories, but Jane is a bewitching enigma that keeps him guessing for the rest of his life—until, finally, it all makes sense.
Rich with the warmth of a bygone era, Crazy captures both the giddy craziness of youth—and the sublime possibilities of existence.
About the Author
William Peter Blatty is best known for his mega-bestselling novel The Exorcist. Blatty also cowrote the screenplay of the hilarious Inspector Clouseau film, A Shot in the Dark. Known for his early comic novels, the New York Times proclaimed that “nobody can write funnier lines than William Peter Blatty,” describing him as “a gifted virtuoso who writes like S. J. Perelman.” Blatty lives with his wife and a son in Maryland.
Praise for Crazy…
"Crazy is terrific! A wonderful novel: funny, touching and SO full of love!"--Julie Andrews
- Book Fair to benefit Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research (Andover)(6 days)
- Mystery Book Club (Andover)(6 days)
- Dale Slongwhite, "Fed Up: The High Costs of Cheap Food" (Andover)(11 days)
- Jon Derek Croteau, "My Thinning Years" (Andover)(16 days)
- Andrew Coburn, "Spouses and Other Crimes" (Andover)(22 days)
- Michael Nethercott, "Seance Society" (Andover Historical Society)(50 days)
- Book Fair to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project (Andover)(76 days)